Sunday 25 August 2013

INTERVIEW WITH DJ ROXY


LBM: Tell us a little about yourself.

DJ ROXY: My full names are Chanda Kangwa. I am 24 yrs old. I’ve been on radio for 3 yrs. I studied journalism and public relations. I have a certificate from ZAMCOM. I did my internship at MUVI TV where I got some experience in production. I later joined HOT FM and I worked there for 2 yrs. Now I’m with radio phoenix and I’ve been there for  a yr plus.

LBM: What music do you play?

DJ ROXY: Almost everything as long as it is good music but mostly I’m in love with Zambian music

LBM: Why DJaying?

DJ ROXY: You know, I didn’t want to be a DJ. I studied journalism because I wanted to be a singer. I figured if I studied journalism I would easily meet the right people. In looking for a job I figured I would do anything journalism orientated but I really didn’t want to be a DJ because my father was a DJ (DJ Space Kid friom way back in the 80s), so I wanted my own identity.

LBM: If not DJaying what would you have done?

DJ ROXY: I wanted TV mostly. It would have been either music or TV.

LBM: How is the singing thing going?

DJ ROXY: When I started the music thing, from being a singer I was turned into a rapper. So I kinda dropped it because I’m still trying to figure out whether its rap or singing that I should do.

LBM: How far did you go with it? Any singles/album out?

DJ ROXY: I have singles but they are not really played.

LBM: Who is your favourite radio personality?

DJ ROXY: Not that I’m the best but I’m in love with my self (laughs). But some of the people that inspire me are Chi, Kaliwa and 3ill.

LBM: What is your advice to young people who would like to venture into your type of job?

DJ ROXY: This industry is hard. It is fun but hard. Because there is not much support from government to the media industry as regards financing. So it has to be something you are willing to sacrifice a lot for. Also, once one becomes a DJ they should learn to differentiate between who they are on radioand who they are in real life. Keep it real.

LBM: Finally, tell us about ‘The Hangout’.

DJ ROXY: ‘The Hangout’ is my baby. It is a monthly open mic session for poetry, comedy and song. My radio show on Friday is actually called The Hangout. On it I bring local celebrities and we do a short bio. We basically celebrate the local Zambian who is doing well in the arts. Mostly on radio we hear the popular songs. We don’t pay much attention to poetry and comedy. So at the open mic session we include the up and coming artists as well. We want to bring together all sorts of artists and blend them together to give a different feel of entertainment.

We had our second session on 3rd August 2013. We had the likes of FJay, Chisamo, K.R.Y.T.I.C and Yvy-apple winter. We are having our next one on 7th September 2013 at the Krome (Polo Grill) and we have lots in store for our audience. The charge is K20 per person. Hope to see you there.

LBM: There you have it ladies and gentlemen. Catch DJ Roxy on radio phoenix 89.5 FM every Monday 1200 to 1500 hours, Wednesdays 1500 to 1800 hours and on Fridays from 2100 to 0100 hours.  You can also follow DJ Roxy on twitter @roxyjonesk and the facebook fan page: DJ Roxy “mizz jones”.


The Light Bulb Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment